Novokuibyshevsk refinery in the Samara region is part of the Samara group of refineries acquired by Rosneft in May 2007. The refinery started operations in 1951. The plant pioneered the production of a variety of petroleum products in Russia, including jet fuel, space oils, motor oils, etc. With the expansion and upgrade of core production facilities in 1959-1965, a number of innovative petrochemical processes were introduced at the plant. Later on, during 1971-1975, the refinery underwent a complete upgrade and renovation. In 1996-1997, the plant implemented another flagship project aimed at modernizing its catalytic reforming units. As a result, te refinery switched to producing unleaded gasoline only.
The crude distillation capacity of Novokuibyshevesk refinery is 8 million tonnes per year. The refinery processes West Siberian crude as well as feedstock from Rosneft’s oil fields in the Samara region. The plant’s deep conversion facilities include catalytic cracking, delayed coking, catalytic reforming, kerosene and diesel fuel hydrotreatment units; bitumen production and gas frationing units; and gasoline blending facilities. Prior to its acquisition by Rosneft, Novokuibyshevsk Refinery processed substantial volumes of the Company’s crude oil under tolling arrangements.
The Novokuibyshevsk refinery processed 7.38 million tonnes of oil in 2009, which is almost equal to the level in 2008. Production of saleable products (including production by the Novokuibyshevsk oils and additives plant) amounted to 6.92 million tonnes and refining depth was 75.3%.